The Tobacco Farm

The tobacco farming industry is still active up and down the Connecticut River Valley, although it is shrinking. This is due to lower demand for the plant and increase use of land for housing and commercial needs. On this farm in South Windsor an old industry continues.

When the first settlers came to the Connecticut River Valley in the 1630’s tobacco was already being grown by the native population. By 1700 tobacco was being exported via the Connecticut River to European ports. The use of Connecticut tobacco as a cigar wrapper leaf began in the 1820’s. Area farmers grew the product for the two outside layers of cigars, the binder and the wrapper. At it’s height there was greater than 15,000 acres of tobacco being cultivated in the valley. Currently, the amount of tobacco being grown in the area is just over a steady 2,000 acres.